This New Year let’s make a resolution to spread love and autism acceptance. Are you on board? Here are 5 ways to keep this commitment:
- Follow an autistic blog. Visit our blog reference page for links to several blogs written by autistic people.
- Make a contribution to ASAN. The autistic self advocacy network works to advance public policy to support individuals on the spectrum and improve general autism acceptance all over the world.
- Involve your child in therapy decisions as often as possible. Try to learn about the skills your child wants to develop and show them how to work towards those goals.
- Discuss autism and neurodiversity in a positive light. Discuss autism as a difference rather than a disorder. Emphasize the strengths and weaknesses of ALL people, including those both on and off the spectrum.
- Connect with your local autistic community–visit a talk or other event hosted by or featuring individuals on the spectrum. This is a good way to meet other people in your community and hear the issues they face on a daily basis.